So the year is drawing to a close and festive spirits are high, let us look back and unwrap some of the treats from 2017. It’s been another great year of tournaments with a busy calendar of domestic events. The Bash, Low Pointers, regional comps, WRCs and Nationals provided some outstanding action and opportunities. More again next year I’m sure. Carrying on the events theme we delivered a brilliant Asia Oceania Zonal which truly summed up the strength, support and Whanau within the sport.
Sadly, a shining light from Zonal and the sport left us this year. Jaimey Fellows was friend and supporter to many. Her passing is a tragic reminder of just how amazing people change lives …. NZ Wheelchair Rugby intend to make sure Jaimeys legacy is not forgotten.
I could mention so many people for the amazing work they have done.
- To all the volunteers thank you; we are nothing without you and you are the life blood of our sport.
- To the Officials, bench staff and classifiers. You continue to set the highest standard and make us proud when you represent NZWR on the domestic and world stage. NZWR’s ongoing support and development will continue into 2018.
- To all the players, club men and women. Keep enjoy the sport and please let us, the Committee, know what we can do to make the whole experience of being a wheelchair rugby player better.
- To our Wheelblacks. We have seen you grow and improve over the year as a team, as players and as people. The mix of experience and new thinking is having an impact and we all stand beside you with a busy and important 2018…go hard!
- To all the sponsors, supporters and funders thank you. There are an endless array of charities, programmes and ventures you could choose to support, but you chose us, great choice! Without you many vital parts of the sport wouldn’t be able to happen. We cant wait to work with in 2018 and beyond.
- Last but not least to the Committee members both old and new thank you. Without the time, energy, effort and knowledge you bring this sport wouldn’t be where it is. We must continue to grow, challenge norms and become a beacon for the sport globally, I honestly believe we can.
We have ended 2017 on a real high. We have had more exposure of the sport than in many years thanks to Zonals. We have seen new talent emerge. We have turned a negative into a positive regarding our finances and have positioned the sport in a place to grow. With your help, we aim to start supporting all elements of the sport from club to country.
It is, as always, an honour to be President of this great sport and play my part. Thank you 2017, but 2018 here we come!! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Nicholas Heyworth
...More Christmas cheer from the committee...
'Merry Christmas wheelchair rugby whanau! Just remember the summer months are training months – do the mahi, get the treats.'
- Cameron Leslie
'Warm Pacific Greetings to you all, a quick message to say that I am extremely excited to join the NZWR family and be part of working towards greater outcomes and success for the sport and more importantly all the amazing individuals that make up the NZWR community. As we look towards the new year of 2018, I am confident in the opportunity to make a positive difference in the journey ahead. Wishing you and your loved ones a safe and happy holidays and looking forward to meeting you at some point in the new year.'
'Being new to the NZWR committee this year, I'm really excited for the year ahead. I look forward to meeting all of our players, officials and volunteers, and to learn more about the sport and how we can grow within New Zealand'
'Really looking forward to a new year of fun in the Wheelchair Rugby world, we have a new Committee, work has already begun in the regions, with 5 tournaments confirmed for our calendar. I look forward to catching up with you in the new year, and all the new players that you are going to bring to our game. Take care, see you soon.'
- Yvonne Mackie
'This is a special time to celebrate the gift of giving, and to recognise the blessings of sharing with our children, family and whanau, whilst also remembering our loved ones who are not with us over this time. Safe journeys, happy giving and remember to share the love.'
- Jo, & beautiful son Bri, wishing you all well.
Community Fundraiser with Ohau Wines
NZ Wheelchair Rugby has partnered with Ohau Wines to raise funds in support of our wheelchair rugby playing community. See flyer here for process and code word (WHEELCHAIRRUGBY) for our fundraiser.